Translate

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Candy- You Will Be Missed

It is with great sadness that my friend, Candy, passed away last week from a long battle with cancer.   We had worked together for 30 years.  It was a very sad week for all of the Romancing the Home girls.  
Candy and I  collaborated on many visual projects over the past years.  We started working together at Marshall Field's in 1987 and together renovated the Hawthorn and Lake Forest stores.  Later, Candy joined me at Romancing the Home.  Numerous charity home tours and customers home's were touched by Candy's hands.   She had an incredible talent to quickly access a room and come up with a plan to make it look incredible.  I gave her many challenges in the store with my tendency to "overbuy", but she ultimately made the store look great.  Her greatest talent was her ability to layer accessories without feeling cluttered.  She was a gifted, talented artist and we will miss her everyday.  I spent the morning looking through  pictures from the past 15 years and I want to share some of my favorites of Candy's work.   

Tablescapes were our favorite things to create together-

 
Candy masterfully used a worn piece of muslin to create the perfect cloth for this sea inspired setting.


 She created this tussie mussie on top of the boxed lunch using wired twine and fresh flowers.
 



 
Leopard cowhide rug used as the tablecloth.
 







She never missed a surface.   She climbed up a ladder and tied all the glittery elements on the chandelier.  It was such an impact in the sunlight filled conservatory.
 

 
Christmas was a busy time for Candy.  She personally decorated many homes for Romancing the Home clients.  She started before Thanksgiving and didn't finish until the week of Christmas.
She took pride in every one of them.
 

 



 
 
The store interior was made exciting for customers by Candy's displays.
 





 
 
We worked on numerous home tours.  This was one of my favorite projects- turning the attic of an old Lake Forest mansion into an artist retreat. 
 


Another home tour- Candy created a masterful display of food and flowers on the kitchen island.

 


 
Dinner party at my house with all the RTH girls and close friends - happy times.
 
Mariterese, Penny, Christy, Marlene, Jill, Katha, Julie, Candy, Linda, Amy, Lynda, Laurell
 
(left to right)
 
 
So to my dear Candy-  when we look up to the heavens and see a beautiful formation of
fluffy white clouds-in a perfect arrangement-  we will know you have been busy creating your magic!
 
Love you and miss you forever------ 

14 comments:

Mari said...

How very sad my condolences to you and her family...may she rest in peace on her pretty arrange white fluffy clouds.....
God bless her....

Unknown said...

So sorry that you have lost your dear friend. Just last week we lost a friend to cancer and know others who are fighting the disease. Thank you for sharing her beautiful creations with us.

Marigene said...

So sorry for the loss of your very creative friend. She will watching over you.
I am so happy you shared her wonderful, creative talent.

Sarah said...

Sad to read this. My heartfelt condolences for the loss of your dear longtime friend. Candy was obviously a very talented lady. Thank you for sharing her beautiful creations. I'm sorry for your loss.

Cynthia said...

So sad to hear of the loss of your friend. What a beautiful tribute you gave to her, and thank you for sharing her special gifts with us. Her talent is an inspiration.

Laurell Banner said...

Such a wonderful tribute to Candy and all of her magic she has created over the years.
She will truly be missed by everyone she has known throughout her life.
Love you Candy.

Unknown said...

Susan, I remember hiring her on my Woodfield visual staff in the late 1980's. She helped us organize the Big grand opening party after a lengthy 3 year renovation. I always appreciated her many talents in all endeavors, especially her wicked sense of humor! She will definitely be missed.

Christy said...

Charming, creative and courageous....that was Candy. Candy always had this big wide infectious smile on her face! She had this amazing ability to create something out of nothing. I remember picking Candy up to go to the 4th of July parade and sitting on Susan's porch with our cocktails! I'll remember those moments for a lifetime!

TiffanyJane said...

So sorry to hear about your talented friend Candy. Love all the beautiful photos....

Rosemary and Thyme said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your beautiful and talented friend Candy. What a brave and creative woman. Thirty years is almost a lifetime and you have done such a lovely and tribute for your friend.

She will be missed.

Hugs,

Janet

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Katha said...

Thank you Susan for posting this beautiful and loving tribute to Candy! She was a very talented person who will be missed by so many. We now have a special guardian angel Farmette!

Penelope Bianchi said...

I am so sorry for your enormous loss! She sounds so incredible.....and I am heartbroken she left so early!

She went "straight up"; and she will be signaling you! Pay attention! I believe this!

How lucky you were to have her in your lives!

Penelope

MT said...

What a lovely tribute Susan. Candy will be greatly missed-I think of her every time I walk by my living room and glance at those FABULOUS purple velvet chairs that she found for me-what a gift she had! My heart is so heavy for her daughters
Much love to you and all the RTH Ladies XO Mariterese